Livingston FC v Dunfermline Athletic FC

Final :- Motorola Inivitation Tournament 1998

Livingston FC:
1. McCaldon, 2. Boyle, 3. Deas, 4. Sweeney, 5. Watson, 6. Millar, 7. Rajamaki, 8. Bennett,

9. Robertson, 10. Bingham, 11. McCormick, 12. Conway, 14, Forrest, 15. Davidson,

16. Feroz, 17. McMartin.

Dunfermline Athletic FC:
1. Butler, 2. Den Bieman, 3. McCulloch, 4. Squires, 5. Welsh, 6. Ferguson, 7. Petrie, 8. Millar,

9. Smith, 10. Shaw, 11. McDonald, 12. Shields, 14. Faulconbridge, 15. Martin,

16. Templeman, 17. Hay.

The Lions and the Pars served up the match of the tournament which saw Livi take a two-nil half time lead courtesy of Pars old boy Dave Bingham. "Bingo" is fast becoming a favourite with the Almondvale faithful. Dave seemed to relish taking on his former team mates and looked the liveliest man on the park.

In the early stages of the match it looked as though Dunfermline's class would show but as time went on Livi took the game more and more to the visitors and by half time looked the better side fully justifying their two goal lead.

The second half started as the first ended with Livi on the attack and they continued to create the more numerous and better quality chances. Dunfermline's first goal came from a dodgy penalty which Marc Millar drilled home. Then disaster struck as a mishit clearance in the box fell to George Shaw who drilled the ball home to equalise.

Livingston always looked the more likely side to get a winner but to the dismay of the packed Main stand it was not to be.

So it all came down to the penalty shootout. Dunfermline took the first penalty which Millar scored. Jimmy Boyle replied for the homeside Andy Smith scored for the pars before Rajamaki hit the bar. Scott McCulloch failed to take advantage as his effort was saved by McCaldon. Robertson and Bingham scored for Livi and Faulconbridge and Den Bieman for Dunfermline. Squires then missed for the Pars. Paul Deas this time was the man who failed to take advantage. Martin and McCormick scored with their efforts.

Greg Shields stepped up and slotted home what proved to be the winner. Gregg Watson being the unfortunate fall guy who then failed.

Congratulations then to Dunfermline who won this years Livingston Tournament. We could see them back at Almondvale on August 8th if the Lions survive a tricky trip to Central Park Cowdenbeath on Saturday 1st. This will be a welcome rematch which we ceratinly have a chance of winning.

Back to Fixtures Page