Inverness Caledonian Thistle vs Livingston

Scottish Cup Second Round January 2nd 1999

Livingston FC:

1. Alexander, 2. Boyle, 3. Deas, 4. McManus, 5. Watson, 6. Millar, 7. King, 8. Conway,

9. McCormick, 10. Fleming, 11. Bingham 12. Robertson, 14. Feroz, 15. Forrest.

Inverness CT FC:

1. Calder, 2. Teasdale, 3.Sheerin, 4. Allan, 5. Tokely 6. McCulloch, 7. Wilson, 8. Shearer

9. McLean 10. Christie, 11. Robson, Subs Addicoat, Munro, Craig

If you believe in omens then you did not really relish the prospect of this match. Livingston had yet to win at Caledonian Stadium and The Lions had never before beaten Inverness in a cup tie. This and the fact that Inverness had had a couple of bad results previously made the initial prospects seem dodgy.


We arrived at the ground to fin that Caley only had a single turnstile open for the away support and it took ages to get in. Then the programmes were sold out when we did get in. Oh and it was even more bloody freezing than usual.

As far as the game was concerned we did not produce the best performance but achieved a good result in then end. The team list saw the unexpected but very welcome inclusion of Gordon Forrest on the bench at the expense of Jim Sherry.

We got the perfect start early on when the referee, sSeve Kaneygave us a soft penalty but who's complaining? Dave Bingham was entrusted with the first penalty since missing his last one and kept his head to slot the ball past tubby Jim Calder.

The game was never one for the football purist with both teams showing grit and effort rather than silky skills and Caley equalised with a goal the epitome of this just before the break. Allan McManus being the unfortunate sod that the ball deflected off into the net from a kick and hope cross from the Caley player. This was after they had thuggishly decided to take out our best players with Charlie King being stretchered off to be replaced by Robbo. Derek Fleming was also unable to continue after the break as was replaced by Craig Feroz

Craig Feroz is finally starting to show some of the ability that we all know he IS capable of having annoyed us in the Red White and Blue of Brechin City for the previous couple of seasons and he put the Caley defence under severe pressure.

The deserved winner came midway through the second half when Mark McCormick latched onto a long ball from Dave Bingham to break clear of the Caley defence and place the ball through fatty Calder's legs for the a brilliant solo goal.

Both sides had chances after this but Caley never really looked like scoring again.

As a side note, Ray Stewart earned himself a massive leap in my personal opinion of him - at the end of this match (and during) by actually acknowledging the support as did the players - which is all most of us ask. If he keeps it up his popularity will and should surely rise.


MoM Mark McCormick

Back to Fixtures Page